Monday, February 16, 2015

TOW #19: The Lives of a Cell By Lewis Thomas


In the essay, The Lives of a Cell, Lewis Thomas discusses the importance of nature and its role in the survival of the human race. An incredibly successful researcher, essayist and teacher, Lewis Thomas relates the importance of cells in humans and also in plants and other various aspects of nature. To the public, he uses asyndeton and scientific jargon, to make a point of how deeply embedded nature is in the world and to attempt to quell the irrational belief that humans are superior to nature and the earth. At various points throughout the essay, Thomas utilizes asyndeton, or the process of eliminating conjunctions between words, phrases or clauses. When talking of the independence of the cells within his own body, he says, " I like to think that they work in my interest, that each breath they draw for me, but perhaps it is they who walk through the local park in the early morning, sensing my senses, listening to my music, thinking my thoughts." This use of asyndeton emphases the possibility of increased individuality of cells within every person, thus showing Thomas's attempt of highlighting the importance of nature within every person. There are also many examples of scientific jargon and vocabulary throughout the essay. He says, " My centrioles, basal bodies, and probably a good many other more obscure tiny beings at work inside my cells, each with its own special genome, are as foreign, and as essential, as aphids in anthills. Thomas's use of intellectual science vocabulary increases his ethos, making him a more credible and believable author. This helps him while presenting his overall argument because it makes him seem more educated about his subject. This strategic use of implementing scientific jargon helps him get his point across of the omniscience of nature in human lives. Overall, I believe that Lewis Thomas did achieve his purpose. At the beginning of his essay, while describing the human belief that they are superior to nature, I knew exactly what he was talking about and I definitely saw his point while describing the importance of cells within the human body. I think that The Lives of A Cell was one of the most fascinating pieces I have ever read and Lewis Thomas is an incredibly talented writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment